This is a sample template I designed for breaking down work elements for a project. I have used this on a recent project. When there are subsets of work items at a lower, ore detailed level I simply repeat and then staple them to the master. It seems to be a useful way to capture data when workshopping a project's WBS and trying to plan resources, dependencies, effort, time etc.
After all you,as the PM, rarely know all the information you need to know to build a plan youself.
The key elements are:
- Workstream (top level WBS)
- Details about who and when the data was captured
- The work tasks name/and objective
- Steps need to fulfil the objective
- Project resources needed (ie facilitators of workshops)
- Business and stakeholder SME's needed
- Time as both effort and elapse
- The physical output of the work (for me often a microsoft office document)
- Dependencies, Risks and Assumptions