In the PMI framework, the Initiate phase of a project covers taking a bright idea to making it a formal piece of work. In the broader context it is simply the activity you undertake to get started. This is where you start to assemble the frameworks and approaches to the project.
Here are some things to consider;
- What’s our big idea?
- Who owns this thing?
- Who will manage and live with the thing we create? Who is paying for it?
- Who are the key players?
- And we will start iterating on the broader stakeholder network from now)
- What are the key constraints?
- (Does it have to happen by a certain deadline, do we have limited money? Do we have to comply with any regs, etc?)
- Our first thoughts on what success look like?
- Let’s put the kernel of the team together to elaborate the planning. How doe we do that? Who do we need to bring on board?