In the time since then I have noticed many PMs and BAs I have spent with are unfamiliar with the term and concepts behind it. No surprise really, as I had worked with I.T. projects for over 10 years as a 'business' oriented person, and I never got invited into the programmer's library. Why should I expect everyone else has?
What is a Deign Pattern? It is what it sounds like. I'll not go into detail explaining it, but will instead provide a short reading list. Let' start with Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia introduction - a not so basic introduction
- CodeBetter introduction article - an in depth introduction to a particular type of design pattern
- Gang of Four Design Patterns - Does it stand the test of time? - A short InfoQ piece looking at challenges to the design pattern concept
- Gang of Four Design Patterns - the "Gang of Four" wrote the seminal book on the topic. Here are diagramatic descriptions of their patterns
- Printable reference cards - useful for the team, maybe?